Which camera would you buy an 8 year old?

Started Nov 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
David Strachan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,177Gear list
Like?
Don't miss the creative button...and don't buy junk
In reply to meanwhile, Nov 22, 2011

Hello Meanwhile

If you don't get a reasonable tool to learn on, well one quickly looses interest. Would you give your child a tennis racket with broken strings, or an untuned piano to learn? If you miss the vital 8 year old creative time, they will never become interested again.

Giving the child a film camera is rediculous! The immediacy of digital, and endless experimentation is what we are all enjoying.

I think a bridge camera with enormous zoom is unecessary. Something with 3-5 zoom is fine. Good macro, reasonable video, suitable for people pics. Something that feel nice in hand, something new, and a small groovy case to carry and protect.

Narrow it down to say two cameras, on those criteria, then go out and both buy it. Then both of you do shoots together, and both download and catalogue, edit, etc.

In my experience children respect equipment, books, and valuables...this all comes from "parental genes".

cheers, and have fun, Dave S

PS one of my choices might be the Canon A1200...a really beat camera for around $100. I have one and bought my 25 year daughter one...she loves it.

David Strachan's gear list:David Strachan's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Leica M8 Canon EOS 60D Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow