E-5 settings. I purchased a new E-5 a few weeks ago...

Started Nov 20, 2011 | Discussions thread
Jon Stock
Senior MemberPosts: 1,598Gear list
Like?
Re: E-5 settings. I purchased a new E-5 a few weeks ago...
In reply to Denjw, Nov 21, 2011

My settings are below:

Denjw wrote:

and have been trying to fine tune the basic settings. I also own a E-30 so I initiially

used its settings as a starting point. With some crappy weather yesterday I spent a few hours calibrating my lens to the camera and afterwards did some test shots with different settings.

These are the settings I have come up with.

Picture Mode: Natural

Same here

WB: Auto

I use Auto or custom in mixed lighting. I use daylight mode is I want to preserve the color balance of the scene. (sunset or stage lighting) Daylight (5500K is close to neutral and makes few changes to the light.

Noise Reduction: Off

On

Noise Filter: Low

Yep

Gradation: Normal

Auto for normal day time scenes and Normal when the iso is already high.

Contrast, Sharpness, Saturation: 0

I have contrast at -2 it seems to bias the exposure more to the middle of the histogram. It seems to change the exposure (shutter speed/iso/aperture) not just the processing afterward.

I use center point or center diamond AF with the small AF setting and I focus calibrate my center AF point. With heavier lenses the focus accuracy seems to be linked to battery level. When I was calibrating I had a really hard time with inconsistent focusing until the battery died and I put a new one in. The focus became reliable and consistent.

As can be seen above the settings are basically default settings so I probably didn't achieve much.

I have read a number of threads where users are turning down the sharpening to
-1 or -2. Not sure why this is being done.

Anyone care to share their settings and any other settings they may have tweaked.
Thanks
Cheers
Dennis

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Jon

Jon Stock's gear list:Jon Stock's gear list
Epson R-D1x Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow