Started Nov 20, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Victor Engel
Forum ProPosts: 15,385Gear list
Like?
5D II Damaged After All, after fall
Nov 20, 2011

I reported a year and a half ago that I fell, and my camera hit the asphalt very hard. I thought damage was limited to the battery door and the area it closes onto, but it appears there is damage as well to the AA filter assembly top surface. Here is a link to my original thread:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=34573188&changemode=1

I've finally concluded that I have a scratch. The reason I conclude this is that sensor cleaning has proven unproductive. I've tried various methods and finally performed several wet cleanings today. The problem is still there.

I decided to try to find out when the problem started showing itself on pictures. It is only barely visible at f/5. Wider open, it's virtually impossible to detect. That explains why it took so long for me to find the problem. Most of my shooting, especially around the time of the incident was wide open. My favorite lens is a 135L, so that means f/2.

Lately, I've been doing a lot of macro photography where I have to stop down the lens. In many of these photos, the blemish is not noticeable because there is detail in the same spot of the photo. The detail masks the blemish.

At some point I noticed it showing up every time I took a custom WB photo or sensor check photo. I figured it was just dust, though, even after doing a couple of cursory sensor cleanings.

Anyway, I just spent a couple hours trying to find the first photo that the blemish shows up, and it's the first photo at f/5 (or smaller) that was taken after my fall.

Circumstantial evidence would seem to indicate the fall caused the damage. But how? What object in the camera would stike the viewfinder side of the sensor when the camera landed on the battery door and lens? I can't think of anything.
--

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +7 more
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow