Started Nov 20, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
topperdoggle
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
SX30 is filter adaptor - needed or not?
Nov 20, 2011

I'm new around here, and mostly interested in discussing my Nikon D3100, but I have a question regarding my girlfriend's SX30 is superzoom. So hi.

She has had two 52mm Kenko UV filters break whilst on the camera, when it was in its bag, in her rucksack, whilst riding her motor scooter. The lens cap stayed on both times. She hasn't (consciously) mistreated it, but obviously something isn't right.

The salesman in the shop sold her the filter as a lens protector, and I think that's sensible, but obviously something isn't right.

Without getting into the discussion of the probable poor optics of this cheap filter, why might they be breaking so easily? I'm leaning towards one of:

1) Crappy filter.

2) Not using a filter adaptor for this camera. I read that it should not have filters screwed in directly, but then some people have reported success from what I have read.
3) Crappy bag (don't remember who the manufacturer is).

All advice appreciated, we are a bit confused.

topperdoggle's gear list:topperdoggle's gear list
Nikon D3100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Nikon D3100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow