canon 24 tse is it worth it for landscape?

Started Nov 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
DuncanDisorderly
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
It's a lazy landscape photographers dream lens
In reply to Teosax, Nov 20, 2011

The majority of my landscape shots are taken standing and hand held. Half a degree of down tilt which gets everything from my feet to the horizon nice and sharp, even at f3.5.

This means lots of light keeping the shutter speed high enough for hand holding without the problem of soft foregrounds.

Focussing isn't a problem either - because the lens is tilted, the whole scene is either in focus or out of focus. All the focus points flash simultaneously when focus is achieved.

There are some simple rules for using a tripod. On a tripod without the legs extended, landscape format with horizon on top third one degree tilt, or portrait format with horizon on top quarter needs one and a half degrees of tilt. Always worth a quick check with Live View, but it's usually close enough that I can get away with stopping down the lens slightly.

The tripod isn't always needed, the above guides still work Here's a hand held image taken at knee height (with the MkI before I upgraded)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow