Raw vs sRaw and 8bit vs 16bit

Started Nov 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
NovemberSun
Regular MemberPosts: 393Gear list
Like?
Re: Raw vs sRaw and 8bit vs 16bit
In reply to AlephNull, Nov 20, 2011

AlephNull wrote:

I wouldn't use 8 bit. For that matter, I wouldn't use sRAW.

That CPU and memory should be more than enough. I'm using a lesser CPU (i7 930) and less RAM (12GB), and I'm not seeing any slowdown, even processing full-size RAWs from a 1Ds Mark III (same size as the 5DII).

A suggestion: I download my images from the memory cards to an SSD, browse and process them on the SSD, then transfer them to magnetic disk for storage. Even an older SSD is faster than a magnetic drive (even a Velociraptor), and a current generation one is a scary-fast device.

BTW: Intel has released (roughly this week), a new CPU and motherboard that could be the next Photoshop master - the i7 3930K + X79 chipset (well, chip!). With quad channel RAM and (on most motherboards) 8 DIMM slots, we can configure 32GB using 4GB DIMMs (cheap!).

thanks for the input and i did see the recently released intel chipset and the MB. specs look great. I have been looking at an SSD one day with sata III. would then move one of the raptors do a daily backup schedule.
--

Cheers. Cheers to what we possess within ourselves. Cheers to the possibilities of this day.

NovemberSun's gear list:NovemberSun's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow