Panasonic 45-175X OIS Works Great( For me at least!)

Started Nov 19, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Derek Bach
Contributing MemberPosts: 856Gear list
Like?
Panasonic 45-175X OIS Works Great( For me at least!)
Nov 19, 2011

I've just shot 10 frames using my new 45-175 (Firmware mod level now at 1.1) on a GH2, (OIS Setting at Mode 2) at 1/160, ISO Auto but camera selected 160 to 500 ISO, aperture f5.5 to f11.

I took 10 hand held shots of a SKY Sat.TV dish of the dark gray, multi perferated with 1mm holes type at 28 metres. All shots at were at 175mm recorded in RAW+JEPG. Six taken in sunny North Wales, UK at mid-day yesterday (and Reorted earlier) and four this morning in bright but light cloud conditions.

I see NO double images and find them good and sharp at 100% enlarged to "pixal level" having processed them in Elements 9 with my usual sharpenning settings.

I'm judging relative sharpness based on a similar test done some time ago with a 45-200mm lens at 150 and 200mm on a G1 which I part-ex'd for the new 45-175. The 45-175 is sharper at 175 than was the 45-200 at 150 and 200 (in my opinion).

I was surprised, as usual, on the limited depth of field and how the sharpness varied even across the 55 cm diameter SKY parabolic dish reflector at 25 metres in my 6 tests yesterday.

In the four repeated test this morning but I used a smaller single point AF+MF and fine tunned the focus manually. The shots so taken were even sharper than those taken yesterday at pixel level.

I'm very happy with the performance of my 45-150 (Serial # HH1SA002620) so no more testing for me! I also have the 14-42X which seems great but I have not specifically tested it - just taken photographs!
Derek

PS. I seem to have lost my spelling checker so my appologies in advance from a dyslexic Engineer.

Derek Bach's gear list:Derek Bach's gear list
Ricoh GR +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow