How do I know if Im ready for FF?

Started Nov 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
Plus24
Regular MemberPosts: 150
Like?
Re: How do I know if Im ready for FF?
In reply to qodeshi, Nov 19, 2011

I didn't read all the comments but I'll put in my 2 cents worth. I am a professional photographer since 1980. I shoot weddings, portraits, seniors, sports, theater plays, etc. Sports and theater require good low light capabilitie. Wedding receptions don't require low light capabilities if you have good flash, but available light is a very nice plus for receptions also.

The D700 is an excellent camera for all these venues. Gyms for indoor sports are notorious for low light. The D700 shines. You can shoot at 3200 or even 6400 ISO (I prefer to go no more than 3200 unless I absolutley must) and get clean shots, enabling you to shoot at shutter speeds of 1/400 to 1/500 sec. to stop action. I routine shoot at those ISOs for theater work where I can't use flash.

The D3s is even better for these purposes, but if you are just moving up from the D90, unless you have a big wallet, the D700 is gentler on your bank account. Look into rebates currently going on by Nikon for lenses if purchased with a FF camera such as the D700. You can save $200 to $400 per lens on rebates currently for the most important FF lenses.

Ideally, you should have 2 or 3 lenses for FF work listed below in order of importance:

1. 24-70 f2.8 (Holy Trinity lens)
2. 70-200 f2.8 (Holy Trinity lens)
3. 16-35 f4.0 VR

Use Bill Me Later or an introductory 0% interest credit card to spread out payments for 6 mo. to a year, making such a large purchase easier to afford. Be sure and not use the card for any other purchases and pay off the balance before the 0% interest rate ends so you don't have to pay huge interest on the remaining balance.

D90 to D700 will not involve a huge learning curve at all but the upgrade will astound you. It is well worth it. Go for it!!!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow