Started Nov 19, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bill hansen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,060
Like?
S100 in DPR image comparator
Nov 19, 2011

I just spent a few minutes going over the DPR image comparator of the S100, compared to the S95, the Nikon D7000, and the Panasonic LX5. I was surprised at what I saw, and I'm interested if others found the same.

I compared RAW images only, to get around the varying degrees of in-camera noise reduction applied.

In the center of the image, the S100 does very well, though it seems a bit noisier at ISO 1600, than the S95 - expected.

Outside of the center, the S100 doesn't do very well in terms of showing detail. In the lower right hand corner of the comparator, the S100 does an absolutely terrible job of showing detail. The LX5 seems to be the best of the cameras compared, but quite a wide margin. The LX5 also seems to hold its own nicely in terms of image noise at ISO 1600.

I really thought the S100 would come off better than it does. It is a very appealing camera in many ways, but if the comparator gives a valid idea of image quality, I guess I'll hold on to my money for a while longer - or even opt for the LX5.

Thoughts or experiences from others?

Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow