Why Do Printers Take So Long To Warm Up?

Started Nov 19, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
larrytusaz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,200Gear list
Like?
Why Do Printers Take So Long To Warm Up?
Nov 19, 2011

My gripe: I don't mean to be petty, I really don't, but to me printers take too long to warm up, ESPECIALLY if you just changed ink cartridges. Why can't they design them to pretty much be ready RIGHT AWAY, just as they've managed to do with cameras?

Every printer I've had the past few years, and I think it's getting worse as time goes with each new model, when you first turn it on, even if you have NOT changed the ink, it has to go through this whir-whir-whir-clunk-clunk-clunk process that sometimes makes it take an entire MINUTE or sometimes even 2 or more minutes before it's ready to print anything. It drives me nuts.

I once had one of the older mid-90s' Hewlett-Packard ink jets, I can't recall the model number (if I could I would probably try to find it on eBay etc) and it was ready to go within 2-3 seconds of when you switched it on, even if you had just changed the ink cartridge. I wish I still had it. It was OLD, in fact it connected through a parallel port, and I imagine it would only print text, but for those purposes anyway I would LOVE it. And no, it was NOT an "office-grade" humongous photocopying-sized model, it was a home/consumer "Desktop" type (I think it was a 500-series but I'm not sure) that probably cost $150 or something new.

I do print photos on my Epson R280, and I appreciate that a $50 printer can do that sort of thing now & do it well, but I really would like it if they could make the printers ready to go IMMEDIATELY once you turn them on. There are times I am actually just trying to quickly run off a single page of text of something real quickly, and it's irritating to have to wait so freaking long for the printer to warm up. And no, I don't care for the "always leave it on" workaround--again, the old HP, it was ready IMMEDIATELY within 2-3 seconds of being switched on.

What gives?

larrytusaz's gear list:larrytusaz's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow