Started Nov 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andrew Elliott
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
Nex & FF..?
Nov 18, 2011

I thought I'd share this unexpected interaction that happened this evening. I popped into John Lewis, Oxford Street, London, on the way home from work, to buy a kettle.

Before I did I went to see what cameras they had in stock and maybe have a look at the 5n and lenses, knowing that the Nex 7, the one I’m interested in, would not be in stock until the new year because of the floods, etc. Interestingly, they had 2 x full frame cameras - the 5d Mk2 and the D700. John Lewis is a department store and not known as a serious photographic outlet, so I was a bit surprised - I had not seen these models for sale on the many occasions I had been in before. The bodies for both were also cheaper than I’d seen them anywhere else, online or otherwise.

Anyway, I couldn't help but notice two of the sales guys talking to two Japanese tourists. They were discussing an Alpha 77 that a sales guy was holding but judging by the way the conversation was going, the two Japanese guys seemed to know more about the camera than the sales guys did. Then I noticed one of the Japanese guys was holding a Nex 7. I had to do a double-take but it was definitely the Nex 7 - black, two thumb wheels, etc.

I asked the guy "is that yours?" We got talking and it turns out that the two "tourists" are over from Tokyo and work for Sony. He showed me the Nex 7, allowing me to handle it and I have to say it is very, very nice. It had the 18-55 kit lens on (which seemed relatively big – the body is small - and not all that fast to focus). He said that this Nex 7 was Sony’s own and one of only a very few in Europe and that it was lucky for me I turned up when I did. I agreed.

We chatted about various aspects of camera and lens design. He mentioned Nex's ability to use many other lenses with adapters, etc. and we reasoned about focal lengths & bokeh, etc. I mentioned how I was amazed how to this day the only non-DSLR FF camera was basically a 60 year-or-so old design with a FF sensor stuck inside and how the market seems to yearn for a small FF camera that would also be cheap compared to an M9. There was a lot of nodding and agreement so I asked about Nex and full frame. He looked at me and then he said slowly and deliberately, "I cannot represent the company as a spokesman, but I can definitely tell you that we are looking at it very, very seriously".

Canon EOS 5D Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow