Started Nov 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Erational
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Like?
Organic Filter to be Used in Fuji 'LX"
Nov 18, 2011

Was scanning the Fuji whitepaper from last year concerning their work on organic sensors to be first commercially applied in the coming Interchangeable Lens Fuji 'LX' :

http://www.fujifilm.com/about/research/report/055/pdf/index/ff_rd055_004_en.pdf

If the results have been discussed in some previous post, my apologies. Interesting facets of the whitepaper on aspects of the organic/inorganic sensor prototype were:

1) No need for a microfilter with it's attendant loss in acuity. The Sigma cameras, Leica M9/P and MF cameras also disposed of this filter. Oftentimes moire can be dealt with in software, obviating a moire filter. Please correct me if I am not understanding the use of this filter in present Bayer-pattern sensors.

2) An even smaller pixel size than the 5.6 microns currently in the 24.3 MPx Sony A77/A65. The Fuji prototype sensor was a pixel size of 2.76 . Fuji said in it's press conference that the new sensor would outperform current FF sensors, so we could see around (roughly) 40MPx at 2.76 microns in an APS-C sized Fuji sensor. I personally experienced smearing of the background and high noise levels with Sony's newest SLT tech with the larger 5.6 micron-spec'ed Sony sensor. The A77/A65 has been repeatedly accused of being diffraction limited. This article talks about the limits of how small is too small a pixel size, Nyquist Theory, et cetera:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/resolution.shtml

Fuji could use it's Pixel Binning technology to circumvent many high-ISO/high noise problems inherent in smailler-pixel sensors- as they do so successfully on the current Fuji X10/X100 models. Additionally the 2010 Fuji whitepaper details how the indecent angle performance is much improved with the new sensor over the older Bayer-pattern sensors, so one could be comparing apples-to-oranges here pixel-wise. Fuji may have escaped much of the limitations of the Tunneling Effect. Perhaps a better comparison would be to Sigma's full-color sensors, which currently have their own high ISO/high noise limitations. Sony also has filed many patents on the use of full-color sensors as they feel they have found ways around these high ISO/noise problems encumbering Sigma's tech. Neither company has gone down this organic + inorganic route Fuji has taken, AFAIK.

3) Fuji claims lack of smearing. Fuji used an example of a moving metronome pendulum. This could have positive aspects for video and still photography.

4) Fuji claims lack of sensor blooming.

5) Fuji claims a greater fidelity with skin tones and other colors more closely replicating the human eye. Fuji already has some of the best skin-tones in the camera business, so this development is quite exciting.

I'm no EE, so if I've gotten my science wrong here, I am sorry.

Fujifilm X10 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow