Ever just take a 4/3rds system and leave the big DSLR guns at home?

Started Nov 10, 2011 | Discussions thread
NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,416Gear list
Like?
Re: Ever just take a 4/3rds system and leave the big DSLR guns at home?
In reply to robonrome, Nov 18, 2011

Rob, I've hiked / backpacked quite a lot (55 countries on 5 continents at last count), including a two-week hike in Nepal, and I've also had experience travelling with dSLRs and M43. My advice would be to take the M43 and leave the Canon at home.

I'm curious about your exact plans for Nepal. It sounds like you're doing a major trek - maybe the Annapurna Circuit?

I hiked the Annapurna Circuit a few years ago and in my opinion you should definitely just take the M43 kit. The 5D is just too heavy. I realise that you have a porter (I didn't - carried all my stuff myself), but space and weight are still at a premium when you're at 4000m or higher. Every kilo feels like 10 kilos when you hit those altitudes. You'll certainly feel the weight of the 5D after six to eight hours of hiking.

You should DEFINITELY take a fast prime, because most tea-houses have very poor lighting (no electricity in many places), and you will get plenty of good shots indoors, as the mountain people are very photogenic (a 5D will scare the crap out of them).

You should DEFINITELY take lots of batteries, as I only had two or three chances to recharge during my two-week hike.

I'm not sure if you need an ultra-wide angle lens. You'll certainly be taking lots of landscape shots, but the distances can be vast and I found that a lot of my shots were at wide-angle to medium-telephoto length.

I also don't think that dynamic range is such an issue. The sky is a very rich blue most of the time, and doesn't blow out even with a pocket cam.

Enjoy your trip. Nepal is one of my favourite countries in the world the people are amazing, the scenery is awesome, and the cities have spellbounding architecture.

NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Sony QX1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow