SD14/15 Optimal RAW workflow

Started Nov 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
lighttripper
Contributing MemberPosts: 668
Like?
Re: SD14/15 Optimal RAW workflow
In reply to neil74, Nov 17, 2011

Finding the best color balance with the SD14 can sometime be a chore--but the results are usually worth the extra effort. I always develop RAW files in Sigma software (with sharpening reduced to minus 6 or so). The Sigma fill feature is simply unique. I then sharpen and make color and level/curve adjustments in Photoshop (including RAW file adjustment of TIFF files) as needed. It is often the case that my SD14 produces oversaturated color and it has to be diminished some.

I've tried Iridient Raw Developer with the SD14, but the software doesn't compensate for greenish image margins that the Sigma software does. So Iridient gives some hard-to-fix, irregular shaped greenish color shifts at image margins. Nice color and sharpening with Iridient, though.

Perhaps the most curious aspect of the SD14 is the fine Kodachrome-like color when shooting in 50 ISO--just expose for highlights when in 50 ISO, as if shooting Kodachromes. Not much highlight head room in 50 ISO, unlike when shooting 100 ISO when there is simply lots of recoverable fine highlight detail in overexposures.

Avoid underexposures as much as possible--crazy red and blue spider noise in shadows otherwise.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow