Ben_Egbert
Forum ProPosts: 20,228Gear list
Like?
Re: It's manual focusing problem on Canon
In reply to Einst Stein, Nov 17, 2011

Einst Stein wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

Einst Stein wrote:

I have used many manual focus lenses on Canon mount. They are all bad, whether it's Zeiss, Leica R, Canon's 50mm L1.2, 24-70/2.8 L, or 70-200/4, I found the problem in Canon's focusing system.

You don't say why manually focusing is bad. Care to expound?

It has something to do with the design of the focusing screen, at least. If you look up bhphoto.com for Canon's the focusing screen, you'll find which screen is best for (critical) manual focusing. I found none are satisfactory, but I guess I lost my patient before I put in enough practice. It might improve.

I also found the same lens could perform differently on different cameras (same model, different sample, shoot in the store). It's all due to the focusing. There was no live-view focusing assistant at that time. With today's live-view, it might help.

I have never been able to focus with the viewfinder, not even the old film era split prism. Until live view and or MA (which allows me to fix the Canon factory designed front focus is better issue) I was never able to focus period.
--
When you can't focus, nothing else matters
Once you can, everything else does.

http://ben-egbert.smugmug.com/

Ben

Ben_Egbert's gear list:Ben_Egbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow