Sigma 50mm f1.4 Focus Issues - Any good copies?

Started Nov 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jag64551
Regular MemberPosts: 109Gear list
Like?
Sigma 50mm f1.4 Focus Issues - Any good copies?
Nov 17, 2011

I purchased a new Sigma 50mm f1.4 (Canon mount) from a camera shop in town (so I could return it if necessary), knowing that there can be focus issues with some copies.

Indeed, there were issues. Everything was fine up close, but pretty much every time I focused on something beyond 15-20 feet, it seemed to just go to the back of the room (infinite?). I could not get it to autofocus properly at those lengths and beyond. I tested it on my own XTi and 40D. So, I took it back to the camera shop, and we tested it on my bodies and their own 7D - same issues, and they quickly detected the issue as well (so I knew I wasn't crazy).

Long story short, they sent it back to Sigma, and I waited a week for another copy to come in. The next copy came in, and now that I knew what to look for, I tested it at the camera store (again with multiple bodies), and we had the same exact issues - great focus up close, but completely inaccurate/back-of-the-room focusing past 15-20 feet. I was about to try sending that one back, and try a third, but one of the guys at the store was like "Honestly, I can't tell you that we're going to get one in that won't do that."

So, my question is, is that true? Or, does anyone have a copy that does indeed accurately focus at all lengths? I have the Canon 50mm f1.4, and I found the Sigma to be far superior in sharpness at the high apertures and to have much better bokeh, so I'd love to use one.

Thanks!

jag64551's gear list:jag64551's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow