FINALLY changing my stock lens...28-135 out, what replaces it?

Started Nov 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MattH1121
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
FINALLY changing my stock lens...28-135 out, what replaces it?
Nov 17, 2011

I've been shooting with my 30D for 4 years now with the kit 28-135mm lens. I haven't taken my photography as seriously as I wanted (just a hobby, but still don't get out to shoot as much as I would like). I think, I'm finally going to invest some more time into it, and start to add a lens or two to my collection. In my somewhat limited experience, but observations over the past 4 years, the 28-135 is alright, but limiting in both focal length and speed for what I like to do (scenic and wildlife).

For right now, if I just concentrate on a solid normal walk around lens, I'm thinking of going with a Tamron (possibly non VC) 17-50, but leaning more toward the sigma 17-50 F2.8. I suppose my question is the autofocus speed of the Sigma that much more advantageous to warrant the significant price difference? I shoot a lot of sunrises/sunsets while I'm fishing and/or hiking, so it will be used in low light a lot. I plan to make this lens my indoor lens for shooting our birthday parties, events, etc (not professionally of course), so I autofocus speed would be important in these situations, because I don't want to resort to manual focus, or have the lens hunting to lock focus.

Thoughts?

Canon EOS 30D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow