ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
George Hsia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,782Gear list
Like?
Sub $1000 combo recommendations
Nov 17, 2011

Hi,

I've been racking my brain for a recommendation for my friend. She is starting a web based business and needs something for product photography. She asked for suggestions for sub-$1k after some back and forth I decided to recommend the 600D and the 60mm Macro. Although it's 96mm equiv, for product shots you want something a bit longer with perspective compression. Since it's a Macro it would be good for detail shots.

I'd like to hear feedback / suggestions though.

a) She wants good image quality. I told her she needs to shoot RAW.

b) I decided not to go with Kit lenses because of sharpness wide open and having to step down. A tripod would address the kit lens issue by stopping down but I think she'd rather not have to replace the lenses in the future and with kit lenses I feel it is just a matter of time before she decides she needs something better.
c) She needs to shoot details, lots of close-up shots.

I already recommended she get a tripod of some sort with a remote trigger and a reflector. I also recommended saving up for the 17-55 in the future.

I'm curious what you guys think. Thx.

-- hide signature --
 George Hsia's gear list:George Hsia's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +10 more
Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow