Started Nov 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PhilDubai
Contributing MemberPosts: 700
Like?
F1 at Abu Dhabi - Image Heavy
Nov 17, 2011

This year was my second trip to Yas Marina Circuit for the Formula 1. Previously, in 2009, I used a D90 with 70-300mm VR lens with mixed results. Partly due to the high ISO performance of the D90 and partly due to the slow lens, which when combined meant I was struggling in low light before the floodlights overpowered the ambient light (The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix starts 30 minutes before sunset and finishes 1 hour into the night)

This year I tried again with the D700. I was in a different grandstand by the pits and start/finish straight, which allowed a couple of viewpoints - exiting the last corner and accelerating pask me by the finish line and braking into turn 1. During twilight the auto ISO was cranking up to 5000 to maintain 1/320-1/640 at f8 on the 70-300 but it held up well, and then I tried out the 85mm f1.4D for turn 1 shots towards the end of the race.

Plenty of shots still to process, but here are the first few from the Saturday (practise, qualifying and support GP2 race) and Sunday (raceday)

1. and 2. GP2 Support Race 1/320th

3. Alonso in Practise in the Ferrari

4. Lonely Canon/Ferrari guy, waiting for Q1

5. Maldonado in the Williams

6. Rosberg in the Mercedes, qualifying at dusk

7. Button in the McLaren, braking for Turn 1

8. Vettel in the Red Bull, braking for Turn 1

9. Main Grandstand - Q3 on Saturday

10. Liuzzi in the HRT, Turn 1

11. Petrov in the Renault locking up into Turn 1

12. Race winner Hamilton in the McLaren, dusk in the race

13. Button into Turn 1, race

14. Rosberg in the Mercedes, race

15. Maldonado in the Williams, dusk in the race

Nikon D700 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow