FZ150 much more on EZ settings and telex

Started Oct 28, 2011 | Discussions thread
J C Brown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,338
Like?
Re: OIS Servo-Systems - For DM - Part N+1 - Part M+1
In reply to GeraldW, Nov 17, 2011

GeraldW wrote:

For what it's worth, I did quite a lot of test shots with my FZ150 with a Raynox 1540 tele lens, and in comparison to the camera in the various EZ settings. The Raynox was not a good match optically; but Detail Man's comment about the OIS system being reduced in effectiveness was quite apparent.

There are probably a lot better matched tele lenses; but at this point I probably will not look for one. On the other hand, the EZ settings work surprisingly well with the 8 MP setting (1.23x) being indistinguishable from 12 MP shots. The 5 MP settings (1.56x) gives results that are quite good if you view on screen or don't print too big. You can probably get some good 8" x 10" prints at 5 MP. The 3 MP EZ is OK for simpler subjects and/or small prints; but if there is a lot of fine detail, smearing occurs.
--
Jerry

Hi Jerry,

In my first response to your thread I stated that the effectiveness of the OIS is reduced when a TC is attached. I am therefore very pleased to see that your tests have confirmed my prediction. See: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=39706914

I was very surprised to read your statement about your EZ images. I thought that you had been convinced about the true nature of EZ.

As an 8MP EZ image is simply an 8MP in camera crop from the 12MP image it is hardly surprising that you found that it was indistinguishable from the 12MP image.

With regard to the other EZ settings I would suggest that you use a good photo-editor such as FastStone Image Viewer to select the equivalent 8MP, 5MPand 3MP crops from your 12MP image and compare them side by side with your 8MP, 5MP and 3MP EZ images. I expect that, as I’ve found in my own carefully conducted tests, you also will find that they are virtually identical.

As stated in my response to Gerry Pasternack dated 29th October I’ve been carrying out tests with my FZ50 over the past six months in an attempt to establish the facts in relation to the effect of EZ on metering, focussing and resolution. When I’ve finished analysing the results I intend to post my findings together with supporting documentary evidence. See:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=39712256

Best regards

Jimmy
--
J C Brown

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow