Hard drive prices - Yikes!

Started Nov 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DotCom Editor
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,582Gear list
Like?
Hard drive prices - Yikes!
Nov 17, 2011

I bought a half-dozen 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green drives in September for $79.99 USD at Best Buy. Today, these same drives -- if you can find them at all - are selling for $185 to $190. Wow!

The problem, of course, is the disastrous floods in Thailand, the center of the hard-drive world. Western Digital manufactures 60 percent of its entire inventory there with the other 40 percent built in Malaysia.

Looks like my new RAID array will sit in a closet until drive prices come back down. That could take a year.

ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow