Started Nov 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Greg Lavaty
Contributing MemberPosts: 878
Like?
Looking for S90 tips
Nov 16, 2011

I do a lot of travelling mainly to take pictures of birds and in my travels I encounter a lot of photo opps that just aren’t suited for my 500mm lens so I have been searching for something to catch the landscape/people/macro shots that I can’t capture with my birding lens. I went through several EF lenses and thought I had found the solution I was looking for when I got the excellent 15-85mm IS lens but what I found after several months of using it was that even it was too big for me to have with me all the time so I started looking for a compact camera. After a lot of reading I finally decided to try a used Canon s90 (though the s95 and s100 look pretty darn interesting). I have taken it on a couple of trips now and think I am finally getting a handle on getting acceptable results from it. At first I was trying to use it like I use my 7D and was getting very frustrated with the overall speed of the camera, AF performance and image quality. Before long I decided to try shooting RAW and got a little more patient with the camera and am getting what I think are better results now but I still think I could do better.

Here are a couple of shots I took at White Sands National Monument yesterday and a couple from the VLA a couple of days ago with the s90.

I would like opinions on what is the best RAW converter for the s90, I have been using DPP but imagine there might be something better. Also any other tips on how to get the most out of the camera are appreciated.

More shots of each location can be seen here:
http://www.pbase.com/dadas115/whitesandsnm
http://www.pbase.com/dadas115/vla

One bad thing that has happened with this camera (which was completely my fault) was that I have managed to get some sensor dust. This is likely because I have been carrying the camera around in my pocket with no case. I took the camera apart and cleaned most of the dust off but there is some inside the lens that I haven’t managed to get to so there are some dust spots that show up when I stop down a lot.

Thanks,

Greg

Canon EOS 7D Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot S95
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow