Which camera would you buy an 8 year old?

Started Nov 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
Jim T
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,221Gear list
Like?
Re: Which camera would you buy an 8 year old?
In reply to PaulRivers, Nov 16, 2011

I just went through the process of evaluating the Panasonic TS3 and Sony TX10. I really like the TS3, but found it produced a bit too much flaring for my uses and the TX10 is smaller. I think the TS3 would do your daughter really well. Of course the other reason I bought the Sony TX10 is because it is quite a bit smaller and I wanted something rugged for my pocket and the sliding metal cover on the Sony covers up the lens completely. Having three daughters that I've tried to keep interested in such things I found that the non-rugged or water prooof cameras I gave them like the Canon sd700is, Pentax S5i and couple of Kodaks and Olympus sub-compacts broke, becuase unless the camera fits in their back pocket it doesn't get used and apparently most girls clothes don't have front pockets they say. The above cameras all suffered from being sat on in their back pockets or had water, juice or something spilled on them in their purse or back-packs when they were not in the back pocket.

So the TS3 would be OK, but for small girls pockets you make want to consider the Sony TX10.

Good Luck.

I'd really encourage the photo bug, I found my oldest daughter has a real eye for light and composition and likes walking around with her handed down Olympus 8080 or SP570. She's looking at my GH1 and EPL2 as well and since she's got a good job now she may get a GH2 or G3 and borrow from my lens collection.

Jim T's gear list:Jim T's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow