FinePix S3200 Aperture - Iris/ND Filter...

Started Nov 8, 2011 | Discussions thread
Dennis
Forum MemberPosts: 97Gear list
Like?
Re: FinePix S3200 Aperture - Iris/ND Filter...
In reply to edu T, Nov 16, 2011

Thanks for tightening up on on my explanation - pictures/"exploded view" of the lens would certainly do a better job than my wording.

edu T wrote:

...In the longer tele focal lengths (f=187 mm), suddenly a third, intermediary aperture setting...

My understading (of my own graphs) would be that the third aperture setting is in fact a further opening of the physical iris - the bottom graph-line. So I don't see it as an intermdiary setting, but more a second, wider aperture (non-ND) setting.

Anyway diving any further into the opto-mechanics would be guesswork (unless I take the camera apart). And as I tend to use A, M and P/Auto (by habit and because of exposure mechanisms e.g. floating ISO), I guess I have a fairly good idea on how to manoevre with the camera to get decent results. I am sure the rest of the family will put it into SR Auto/Family mode - and be happy about it...

On a side note, interesting to see the X100 also includes and 3 stop ND filter, which can be used a bit more creatively/controlled, but also suggested for dealing with certain cases with conflicts between the wide open aperture and the in-lens shutter design - some might claim it is not fair comparing these cameras...

As for the X100; we are getting nearer to Christmas, and it's on my list...

Dennis's gear list:Dennis's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S9100 Olympus C-2040 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Olympus E-420
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow