Is GH2 Still Best Still/Video Hybrid Cam?

Started Nov 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
whoodle
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?
Is GH2 Still Best Still/Video Hybrid Cam?
Nov 16, 2011

I've been wanting/saving for GH2 for over a year now...but now I gotz to wonder, is it still the best machine for delivering great still & video images for $1500 or less? Perhaps moreso than others here @ dpreview...I really care about video performance...about as much as stills (I'd say 55% still/45% video).

I know the GH3 is a year away (sigh), I like & understand the advantages of MFT over SLRs. But the new Sony SLT-A65 is throwing out some serious specs/vibes; huge resolution, 1080p60/AVCHD 2.0, the translucent mirror offering many of the things mirrorless systems give you. It's just more state-of-the-art...it has 18 mos.+ over the GH2 (or is it two full years now?).

But specs are specs...what matters to me is:

Great looking stills I can churn out from a wide range of lighting conditions (small ones without a lotta processing, up to 11" x 17" if I want to futz w/RAW for a while)

Good/great AF performance, still & video

Video that'll look great on my 58" pany plasma 1080p. I honestly don't know that much/care about 24/50/60p . I think it's mostly to look more cinematic and/or handle high-speed action videography. I just want great pics of my kid (some sports, other stuff), and nice footage of my hobby; high-power rocketry (kinda challenging, I'd think).

I won't be making arthouse flicks, or filming weddings for $$.

SO...given all this, is the GH2 still my best option?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow