Which camera would you buy an 8 year old?

Started Nov 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
Morris Sullivan
Senior MemberPosts: 4,530
Like?
Re: Which camera would you buy an 8 year old?
In reply to meanwhile, Nov 16, 2011

meanwhile wrote:

If you had a budget of $250-300, which digital camera would you buy an 8 year old?

I'm currently wavering between a rugged one like the Panasonic TS3 (that would hopefully last longer and be worried about less), and something with more reach like a Canon SX230 HS that would be more flexible. Pretty sure it has to have a zoom.

Thoughts?

I say get the rugged one, doesn't matter much which one as long as it's durable. Reach probably isn't going to be much of an issue to a typical 8 year old. You would know better than I if she's planning on shooting wildlife etc. Most kids I've met like to take pictures of people and macro type shots typically.

I don't agree with going disposable or super cheap for two reasons. First, a broken cheap camera is useless but a scratched mid-priced durable camera still takes pictures. Second, it's just stuff, life happens and if she breaks her camera she'll learn a good lesson about taking care of her stuff.

Some kids can handle delicate items and some will break anything. I assume that since you're considering spending $300 on her camera she must be the more careful type. If she was the break anything type I'd say go with the $50 one but at 8 years old she may very well never break a durable camera. Water is probably the most likely camera killer for an 8 year old (spilled drinks, dropped in the pool, etc.) I've beaten my old canon p&s around in my backpack for years and dropped it a few times and it's still kicking but it's never gotten wet..

I think going the disposable film route may end up costing more in the long run with processing etc especially at 24 shots per camera and will likely hinder her learning potential because she won't be able to experiment and get feedback like she will with a digital. Those cameras don't have many (if any) controls either.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow