ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SirPete
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Everest base camp - backup solution?
Nov 16, 2011

Hi all,

Long-time reader, first time poster here.

I'm off to Everest Base Camp in January and I'm taking the SLR with me. I've got spare batteries for the trek and now I'm trying to decide what I'll need memory wise. I've got no idea how many shots I'll take on my 23 day journey but I'm aiming to be able to store around 1000-2000. What I now need to decide is on a backup solution and I'd love the dpreview.com community's input.

Options:

1. No backup - just rely on the (genuine) SanDisk SDHC cards

2. Backup on SDHC cards (i.e. I've got a Nikon D7000 with dual card slots so I can set the second slot to be a backup)

3. Backup HDD (e.g. a HyperDrive COLORSPACE)

Considerations:

1. Batteries - I have heard there is some ability to charge on the way but I don't want to rely on it if possible

2. File size - I plan to take RAW+JPEG at the highest setting for all my pics (This should equate to a max file size of about 38MB per shot)

3. SDHC cards - I've currently got 3 8GB cards. I decided on 8GB on the basis that if I did happen to lose one or damage it then I wouldn't lose all my files. The only down side is that each 8GB card will only take about 200 shots of RAW+JPEG. Should I stick with the 8GB cards?

Any opinions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow