Olympus Ep 3 or Sony Nex 5n or??? Advice please.

Started Nov 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
Terrance13
Regular MemberPosts: 347Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus Ep 3 or Sony Nex 5n or??? Advice please.
In reply to iseolt, Nov 15, 2011

Considering that Olympus will probably die soon, I wouldn't touch it. And mind you, I'm an Olympus owner -- E-510. Still, my experience with Olympus has not been good at all. The worst is that not only did Olympus produce a shoddy product, but they added insult to injury by disabling functions out of spite -- like turning off the internal image stabilization and focus confirmation if you mount a legacy lens with an adapter. Then they force you to buy an old slow small xD memory card -- that must be made by Olympus -- if you want functions like the panorama function to work.

Now the E-510 routinely malfunctions and insists that it will not save a picture to my CF card because I don't have a "panorama memory card" in the camera. That is not saving panorama pictures -- that's just normal shooting getting disabled by a bug in the Olympus firmware. I could go on and on for pages... Of course there will never be another firmware upgrade for the E-510.

I just purchased a used Canon 5D for my new main squeeze. It's a joy.

There are many things wrong with Olympus, but the single worst is the fact that they married the 4/3 sensor size. It's the smallest, noisiest DSLR sensor in the industry. Period. No question about that . And it blows highlights all of the time. Any APS-C or DX sensor will be better.

Don't tie an anchor around your neck and board a sinking ship.

-- hide signature --

'Now I know what it's like to be high on life.
It isn't as good, but my driving has improved.'
== Nina, on 'Just Shoot Me', 13 Jan 2006.

Terrance13's gear list:Terrance13's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-510
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow