Started Nov 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Martin_MM
Regular MemberPosts: 142
Like?
Is the 14-24 +70-200 all I need? Owners, please help me get it right
Nov 15, 2011

Hi fellows, I´m finally going FX and despite I have always kind of disdained those starting threads like "help me decide", to my surprise I´m finally doing that too.... Yes, you can smirk now ;-). The reason is simple: it is quite a big investment, probably the definitive one for my lifetime so every photographers´experience is very valuable to me and I would be grateful for any comment of owners (current or former).

I have thought about various variants but finally I think I what I would like to have the best is D700 + 14-24 + 70-200/2.8. I´m shooting all kind of shots, nothing specialized but what I want is some fast telephoto lens (portraits, shallow DOF photography, reach, compression effect) + wide ange for landscapes, interesting perspective, unique look and squeezed spaces.

My paradigma is: no more than 2 lenses (don´t feel like carrying and swapping more) but those two as excellent & high-quality as it gets.

I think one can live without a midrange zoom (?) that´s why I (with a heavy heart in a way) omitted the 24-70. Maybe I could add 50/1.4 one day to 14-24+70-200 setup instead...

As for the wide angle, what I would like the best is 16-35 f2.8 - like Canon has. I´m a bit worried about the rather short range of the 14-24 and the gap to 70-200.... But I don´t want f4 lens, mainly because shooting kids in interior is when every stop counts for me. The 24/1.4 prime is fabulous for sure but I don´t need f1.4 et the expense of fixed focal lens.

Please is there anybody who has 14-24 + 70-200 (+ maybe 50/f1.4) lenses only, his shooting style is similar to mine and this setup has proved to be all one ever needs?

Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
???New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow