Started Nov 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brian Thomas
Contributing MemberPosts: 525
Like?
OccupyPDX eviction night - Kx DA 21 & umbrella rainy portraits
Nov 15, 2011

It was eviction night for Occupy Portland. Thousands of Portlanders turned out to protect the occupation with "people power."

Denied medical care, under paid, getting little while the other 1% is getting everything. We are the 99%.

A woman wishes Mayor Adams would show up so she can share her cream pie with him. These are natural light portraits. The umbrella I spoke of in the title is a regular rain umbrella. Since the K-x is easy to shoot with single-handed, it works quite well, this way, in the rain.

The DA 21 is a great portrait lens. I saw a photojournalist there with a 1.2 Nikon telephoto lens. He was standing across the street from the protest and he got totally different pictures than I did. The crowd looks bigger (the lens sort of compresses the protesters and makes people standing quite far apart look like they are tightly packed) and angrier -- maybe because you only see the faces of bolder people standing on the front line (although see my flower girl portrait) or maybe because he chose to take pictures of angrier looking people. Anyway, it is very different from you get if you are shooting from with in the protest with the DA 21.

From noon to dawn (with a long dinner break) it was my longest photo shoot. The best pictures are at:

http://www.pileofprints.com/PhotoEssays/

Click on the photo essay entitled, "OccuParty" The first Occupy Portland essay documents the first days and this one the last day night.

-- hide signature --
Pentax K-x
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow