Started Nov 14, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Austin Li
Contributing MemberPosts: 650
Like?
Push the VR for one more stop
Nov 14, 2011

Though I have owned 70-300 VR and 70-200 VRII for quite some time, I never purposely tried to push the VR to its maximum effect --- up to 4 stops claimed by Nikon. For these two lenses, the slowest shutter I used was around 1/25s - 1/30s. Since I acquired the 16-85 VR for hiking purpose, I tried to see how slow the shutter can be pushed to. Of course, everyone of us is different with regard to how shaky our hands are. For me, I found that I could get sharp results at 1/12s for 16 mm (one stop considering 16 mm DX as 24 mm FX) and 1/15s for 85 mm (roughly 3 stops regarding 85 mm DX as 120 - 130 mm FX). If I pushed more to longer than 1/10s, no matter how I tried (keep steady, hold breath, etc), I only got blurry results. So I am sure that MY threshold for VR is about 1/10s.

When I used shutter delay mode, and half pushed the shutter to engage VR, then fully pushed down the shutter button and held it till the shutter was actually released (VR is engaged in the entire process), I found one more stop effect was achieved. That is 1/6s for 16mm, and 1/8s for 85mm. I am not sure if anyone use this trick also, if not, hopefully this thread can contribute a little useful thing to the forum.

I'd like to learn from you that how many stops you can get from your VR, and what is your trick? Thanks,
--
Austin

Photography is one of the ways to get myself relaxed from occupation stress.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow