Started Nov 14, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bob Rockefeller
Regular MemberPosts: 126Gear list
Like?
V1 vs Its Competition
Nov 14, 2011

Not surprisingly there's a lot of discussion about what Nikon got right and wrong with the V1. Unfortunately, a lot of that comes from people who have not used the camera. And I, too, am in that group - considering a small, but good, camera to supplement my Nikon D300s. My Canon S90 is a good enough camera (and certainly small enough for a pant's pocket), but it does not have a viewfinder and I just don't use it much because holding the camera out from my body just doesn't seem right.

What's interesting to me in comparing the specifications is just how Nikon hit a spot in the continuum of small cameras with built-in viewfinders: Canon S90 -> Fuji X10 -> Panasonic G3 -> Nikon D3000. I see the V1 fitting nicely between the Fuji X10 and the Panasonic G3.

The Sony NEX-7 deserves mention, even though I can't find anywhere to buy it now - so its not a real camera to me yet. It has an APS-C sensor and an EVF, but its more expensive with its kit 18-55 lens at $1350 (J&R). I wonder when we'll see it for sale?

So, if you want a small, capable, interchangeable lens camera with a built-in viewfinder (EVF, in this case), the V1 hits a pretty nice spot from its specifications. It has a much larger sensor than the Fuji X10 and is a good bit smaller than the Panasonic G3.

Have I missed any of the V1's competition (small, interchangeable lens cameras with built-in viewfinders)?

-- hide signature --

Bob
------------
Bob Rockefeller
Richmond Hill, Georgia
http://www.bobrockefeller.com

Bob Rockefeller's gear list:Bob Rockefeller's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +4 more
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3000 Nikon D300S Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow