Started Nov 14, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jag64551
Regular MemberPosts: 108Gear list
Like?
5D Mark I or 40D?
Nov 14, 2011

I am a part-time portrait and wedding/event photographer. My current camera/lens setup is 7D & 40D with 24-105 L, 50mm 1.4, 70-200mm f4 and a Tokina 12-24 f4.

My 40D shutter count is well over 100,000 shots now, so I am anticipating the need to replace it sooner than later. Ideally, I'd like to sell it as-is while it is working, and get something different rather than fix it.

This is what I'm thinking - give me your opinions please. Sell the 40D and 12-24 and put that money toward a used 5D Mark I (can't afford a Mark II). My thinking is that with a full frame body, I will be able to ditch the 12-24 (although I realize it is still wider on the 40D than the 24-105 is on the 5D) because the 24-105 will be wide enough on the 5D for general wedding photography and event coverage - allowing me to operate with three lenses in my kit, rather than trying to juggle four.. I have heard the 5D is superior to the 40D in image quality and high-noise performance, so the idea intrigues me.

My concerns: The 5D is over six years old - that seems ancient to me. Also, the lack of Live View and the inferior LCD screen on the back is a little worrisome. To counter that however, I could use my 7D when Live View is necessary (which isn't that often).

There is a decent looking deal on a 5D with minimal use on Ebay right now, which is what is making me think about it seriously.

Any thoughts/advice/suggestions/warnings would be much appreciated!

Thank you,

Jamie

jag64551's gear list:jag64551's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow