Started Nov 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JCC123
Regular MemberPosts: 191Gear list
Like?
Should Panasonic release a new 20mm?
Nov 13, 2011

I don't understand why Panasonic doesn't release a new version of this lens? It remains one of the most sought out lens in the m4/3 format. Just about everyone who owns a m4/3 camera has one.

Since this was one of the First lenses released in the history of this format I think there can be several things that can be improved upon.

1. Make it with lighter plastic like the 14mm lens. I normally hate to use cheaper parts but I think this is one place where users benefit from a lighter lens.

2. Make it even smaller. I think the 20mm can be made even smaller like the 14mm.

3. Make it faster in AF. Again, it should be as responsive or more so than the 14mm.
4. Make it more affordable. With plastic parts, it should be cheaper.

5. See if there's a way to incorporate IS without violating #2, or, at the very least, maintain the same size as the current version.

6. Increase the aperture to something lower than 1.7f without violating #2, or, at the very least, maintain the same size as the current version.

I think there will be demand for a new version of this lens with the characteristics I just outlined. I certainly would purchase one. So would most of you.

What do you think?

JCC123's gear list:JCC123's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow