Started Nov 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,917Gear list
Like?
E-PM1 -- The post I wish I didn’t have to make
Nov 13, 2011

I’ve been enjoying my trip in Papua New Guinea with the E-PM1, the 14-42 zoom and the Panny 14 as my lenses. The gear has produced the portability and handling qualities I wanted, the Oly color has been beautiful, but there’s been a niggling thing about sharpness.

With my trip coming to en end and it being a day when it was just too darned hot for me to do anything much, I filled in half-an-hour running a little test with the Oly and the back-up camera, the Panny TZ7, which I haven’t had out of its case for the trip.

You can see the 100% crops from roughly the center of pictures taken within a few minutes with similar zoom (the Oly’s 42mm max), and similar shutter speed (around 1/500).

I shifted from the Kodak P880 to the Panny G1 for a number of reasons, one of which was the lack of image stabilization. I need it at a lot of shutter speeds.

The G1 was great, but disappointing in two important respect -- it is a bit big and the color is rubbish (the Kodak color is superb).

I shifted from the Panny G1 for three main reasons: size (and hence lack of portability), color rendition (much superior in the Oly), and IBIS (which would give me stability for all lenses not just the longer ones with OIAS built-in).

But IBIS doesn't work properly.

I'm already putting up with the crazy notion of not having a built-in flash, now I have to put up with the notion that the mighty IBIS has to be switched off and switched on for different shutter speeds. I know it works well for low speeds (see the second comparison), but it should do no harm at higher speeds, just like the OIS in the Panny (if it is going to be a problem it should switch off automatically -- didn't I just buy a very automated camera?).

The size is right, color rendition is right, but IBIS is a problem.

My question: Why am I bothering with a (comparatively) expensive m43 outfit? The TZ7 even has a built-in flash.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 (Lumix DMC-TZ7)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Why?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow