Started Nov 12, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,144Gear list
Like?
The nerve of Olympus - regarding a review of the XZ-1
Nov 12, 2011

A month or so after I picked up the XZ-1, I received an email from Olympus, asking me to post a review of the camera on their XZ-1 info page. In this email, they "hint" at the fact that they love Excellent reviews - meaning 5 out of 5 stars.

OK - so I proceed to the review page and compose my review. In summary (I was more detailed on the review), I was extremely positive, talking about how much I enjoy the camera and how glad I was to once again see Olympus focusing on enthusiast models. Towards the end of the review, I said that the only reason I was going to give the XZ-1 four stars out of 5 was because of the lack of the ability to adjust NR functions within camera - but one that I felt could be added perhaps with a firmware update.

I then closed out the review by saying this XZ-1 takes a back seat to no other competitor - it's that good.

Well, I just got an email from Olympus, rejecting my review, stating, "Your opinion is very important to us and the Olympus community. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review on XZ-1. Unfortunately your review did not meet our guidelines for posting on our site."

So I go to their review guidelines link, and this is what they recommend (all of which I did....glowingly - but with the caveat of 4 out of 5 stars):

When writing your Olympus review, please consider the following guidelines:

Focus on the product and your individual experience using it
Provide details about why you liked or disliked a product
All submitted reviews are subject to the terms set forth in our Terms of Use

Olympus reserves the right not to post your review if it contains any of the following types of content or violates other guidelines:

Obscenities, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum

Advertisements, “spam” content, or references to other products, offers, or websites

Email addresses, URLs, phone numbers, physical addresses or other forms of contact information

Critical or spiteful comments on other reviews posted on the page or their authors

NOTE: I violated none of those guidelines!

I was taken aback when I saw this, especially in light of the glowing review I gave the camera. So it appears their initial email was right in which they wanted to see only 5 out of 5 stars - meaning excellent. Wow - with all the problems Olympus is now experiencing, they have the gaul to demand nothing less than 5 out of 5 stars.

-- hide signature --

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 Canon PowerShot G12 +25 more
Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow