Buying for an older person: LX5 or GF2 (or something else)

Started Nov 12, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kaizr
Forum MemberPosts: 88
Like?
Buying for an older person: LX5 or GF2 (or something else)
Nov 12, 2011

Thinking of buying one of these two for my parents xmas present, as their 8 year Kodak is in dire need of replacing.

Main reason for getting one of these models, my parents have everything else Panasonic, both cameras should fair well in low light, and the price of the GF2 (14-42mm) is now cheaper than the LX5.

My parents are casual point and shooters and probably won't be looking to buy any additional lenses; will either of these models be suitable to them if left in Ai mode, or should I be looking at a camera with basic features? Neither of my parents are technically minded and do not have a clue about setting aperture and iso (or wouldn't even know what these terms mean).

I just assumed that the auto mode on these should provide better results than cheaper models.

I could probably also go for a Canon S95 for £245, which is £20 cheaper than the GF2. Would this be a better option? Even though the S95 is probably no easier to operate than the LX5.

Video is not really important as they have a camcorder (yep a Panasonic one).

Oh, and can the GF2 be purchased for less than £265 in the UK, and the LX5 less than £276?

Help would be appreciated.

Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow