Ever just take a 4/3rds system and leave the big DSLR guns at home?

Started Nov 10, 2011 | Discussions thread
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,894Gear list
Like?
Re: The end result...
In reply to robonrome, Nov 12, 2011

I own a 5d (mk1) too, but the 16-35mm is the last lens I'd bring on a trip like that. Why not the 24-105mm ?

I can understand why the need of your 5d2. The IQ is so wonderful that you want it for a memorable trip. But that 16-35 is way too big and heavy for what it will offers you. Plus if it is the 16-35 mk1 as mine, it isn't even very sharp. Secondly I don't think that you'll use it very often for mountain landscapes : all the mountains will look lower than they are in fact when used at the wider end. I had got it for my D60 in the early days of digital slrs when there were no full frames available and it was the only alternative to get a wa, but nowadays it sits in a cupboard most of the time. Even the 12mm Olympus lowers the mountains. The 24-105mm is all you need with your 5d : it will add you the middle range which you'll probably use more often in mountain environments than the very wide end. 105 gives you already a good range at the long end, but I can also understand the need of going longer. I don't know the 70-300, neither how big it is. I own the 70-200mm F4. Together with the 24-105 F4 they make a nice combo and relatively light for Canon gear. Both the 5d and the 24-105mm were thought for travel photographers and photojournalists. I won't take anything heavier on an impegnative trip in Nepal ! Adding the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 and the Olympus 45 f1.8, you are already covered for low light situation very well. And you'll have your Canon gear for outdoor spectacular landscapes.

The only problem being that one has to take the gear one has and may be that you don't have these F4 zooms.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow