Started Nov 11, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
oreoucky
Senior MemberPosts: 1,058
Like?
Thailand: One Broken Arm and the End of the Road
Nov 11, 2011

Well I know many of you have been following my travels around India, Nepal, and Southeast Asia over the past 7 months. It was to come to an end mid November after I finished Thailand and Laos. Well I never made it to Laos!

Thailand was real nice. Travel was a bit restricted due to the flooding, but had an amazing time in Kanchanaburi and Koh Lanta, which is absolutely stunning. In comparison to other places I've been I found it a bit more expensive. The food as expected is great. Entirely too many tourists though, and I was there in the off season. My sister came out to visit which was nice and we had a real good time.

We were supposed to fly to Chang Mai but plans headed for the worse. Driving back through the scenic roads of Koh Lanta I saw movement out of the corner of my eye. Out of nowhere, comes a monkey flying out of the trees, landing right in the street like a deer in headlights. There was no time for adjustment. It literally happened within seconds. THUMP AND CRASH! This suicidal monkey was determined to bring me down; sending the bike out of control and hurling my body from its clutches. I hit the ground with force, bashing my face on the pavement, donating some blood and skin from my face, knees, and arms (Ok I’m being a little dramatic here). It’s a good thing I always wear a helmet as it could have been a lot worse. I was in shock and initially did not feel much pain. I quickly stood up, blood dripping from my nose. The monkey was limping across the road before disappearing into the bushes. Within minutes I had my own entourage: about four Thais, one was even armed with alcohol and cotton balls. Who hits a monkey?

After a few x-rays later I realized I needed surgery due to a distal radius fracture. Without health insurance it was a real bummer. I could either have surgery in Thailand or fly back to the US. Either way I only had a week to do it. Headed 5 hrs to the international hospital for a consultation and after much deliberation I spent 3 days there. One metal plate and five screws later I was ready to leave Thailand. Not too mention with a lot less money. Ouch.

Not the way I wanted to end my 7 months in Asia but I guess it could of been worse. It's been an incredible journey. I'd repeat it again without even thinking. Still hasnt quite set in that its over. Although I did spend my first few days at home quite miserable.

Been home about a week and have managed to go through some Thailand photos. During the accident my a580, 11-16mm, 24mm, and 18-250 where on my back in a backpack. I hit the ground at about 35mph and some how the only damage suffered was a large dent in the lens cap of the 11-16mm.

Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow