Started Nov 11, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joyless
Forum MemberPosts: 94Gear list
Like?
2 images, about the same exposure value, different results. :P
Nov 11, 2011

While taking pictures at night, I normally take some high iso shots to see if I've managed to set up the camera properly, get a feel for how long the exposure needs to be and so on. Normally those high iso shots are immediately discarded as they honestly look like crap.

Last night, however, I got this which I decided to keep:

Compared to the iso 100 result of the same scene:

Personally, I really like the grainy look of the high iso shot. There's not much detail there, not much color either, but I think it all adds up to a dark and perhaps mystical feel. I get more of a "painted" feel from it too, than a photo from a camera. I also think it looks better heavily scaled down, even at 1600x1060 it's pretty much all noise.

The iso 100 shot I think is rather dull and boring, with the clouds and the water smoothed out. Yeah there's loads more detail and color, but still. This was taken long and well after sunset, not the best time for taking pictures I think, at least not with a clouded sky.

The top right corner is bright white because the almost full moon was behind the clouds, while the light from the houses outside town was reflected on the clouds behind the hill, slightly to the left and center of the images.

Does anyone else have images like this, showing how different an image can look even though the amount of light in theory is the same? (As in, here I reduced iso by 8 stops, from 25600 to 100, and compensated by increasing shutter from 1.3 sec to approx. 320 sec)

Joyless's gear list:Joyless's gear list
Sony RX100 Ricoh GR Nikon D80 Nikon D700 Nikon D5100 +24 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow