Like?
Lens consolidation – round the world trip
Nov 11, 2011

Hi guys I currently own the following:

D7000
12-24
18-200
70-300

I'm off on my third round the world trip and need some advice on what lenses to take.

I plan to sell off the 18-200 - on my last trip I just wasn’t happy with the performance over 100mm. I guess I got seduced by the numbers and the thought I would only need one lens for 90% of my shooting.

The 70-300 is a given and will be in the bag for sure. I actually bought this in Hong Kong to supplement the 18-200 because I wasn’t happy with it.

So, to the main point of my post; I need a walk around lens in the 16/17-50/55/85 range.

So far the list comprises of the usual suspects:

Tamaron 17-50
Nikon 17-55
Nikon 16-85

I think I can see the advantages and disadvantages of all these lenses but cant make my mind up as to what will best suit me.
Giving up the 50/55-70 I can live with so this isnt a deal breaker for me.

If I go for the Tamaron or Nikon 17-55 in all likelihood I will need to take the 12-24 to cater for landscapes and other occasions when I require a greater DOF.

My only reservation with the Nikon in this range is the weight - the price is not so much an issue for me. Is it too heavy to be considered a walk around lens? If so would the Tamaron be the better bet?

If I go for the 16-85 I will probably need to leave the 12-24 at home and buy a fast prime for low light/action scenes and times when I require subject isolation.

I really do not want to carry more than 3 lenses; carrying a backpack with all your worldly possessions plus camera gear for 8 months is hard at the best of times!

Because of the type of trip there is I wont have one 'style' as it where, I will shooting in all conditions and a wide range of subjects hence my confusion.

To summarise, I'm taking the D7000 and the 70-300 other than that I've yet to make my mind up.

Given what I've just said I would love other people to suggest what setup I should take and why.

All suggestions greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow