Ever just take a 4/3rds system and leave the big DSLR guns at home?

Started Nov 10, 2011 | Discussions thread
NuFonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 2,179
Like?
Re: Ever just take a 4/3rds system and leave the big DSLR guns at home?
In reply to robonrome, Nov 11, 2011

Hey Rob,

i'm living in Nepal for over half a year now, most of the time in Kathmandu, but have traveled a lot of other parts of the country (even the far west) for private and professional reasons.

What i can tell you is that Nepal (and other south asian countries like India) is one of the places i felt the most secure in all of the world.

Traffic -dangerous, flying - not undangerous, smog - dangerous in the long term.

Taxi drivers will try to rip you off. Personal security and that of your belongings should be of no concern as long as you abide by the basic rules of traveling. I even had someone run after me for giving me money back i lost.

At public touristy places and at festivals you can just shoot about anyone without any problems (ask before you photograph children and be aware that some people ask you to take a photo and then want money for it, f.e. Sadus).

If you want to shoot people at other places you should ask before and not just shove a camera in their face. Tele-zooms are less suspicious of course and it is up to you if you consider that as fair.

Don't let your stuff lying around but even if you do there is a good chance that people will not steal it.

Respect the wishes (often not enforced) of the locals, f.e. don't shoot too offensive at sacred sites like Pashupatinat. I've seen people with 300mm lenses zooming on the faces of the dead, burning people there. This is highly offensive!

In my six months i've only heard of one case here where someone had something stolen out of his pocket. The rest were things people simply forgot and their would be taken away everywhere else as well.

Btw, around KTM and Patan Durbar Square, the Boudhanath Stupa, Pashupatinath and so on there ore dozends of people with heavy DSLR equipment so that's totaly normal in tourist areas.

Have a great time in Nepal, it's a fantastic country. Kathmandu is not the most beautiful city in the world but has lots of charme (Pokkhara is much more relaxed). The trekking is second to none. I was in the annapurna region over dashain and it was breathtaking.

Oh, and don't let your porter carry too much. Those poor guys are often overloaded to the point i'd consider that a crime.

robonrome wrote:

I'll have a porter with me so weight isn't so much an issue, but more wanted to keep the camera on me ready to go and a big DSLR would kill my neck etc. Also it is a very poor country and big camera/lenses can be intimidating to people I'd like to photograph - some security concerns as well. They just make you stand out and I'd rather blend in an much as possible.

-- hide signature --

What´s that noise?

From one of the Canon Forums:

'I just came back from my first holiday with the 5D II (I think my wife was there as well). '

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow