Started Nov 11, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
LazyDaisy
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
A D90/D5100 Conundrum
Nov 11, 2011

I have shot with a D80 for three years. I just sent my camera off to college with my daughter and am now in the market to "upgrade" on a (pesky) budget. The more I read, the more I want the D7000, but since the kid took both my camera AND my tuition dollars to college, I've decided I can't swing it!

Important note...I have a non auto focus 50mm 1.8 which is my very favorite lens on D80.

Research leads me to the 5100, which can not use my beloved 50mm. I've noodled on this and discovered that I can get body only ($650) with a used 18-105 VR ($225), which I prefer to the 18-55 kit. I can then add an AF 50mm for $225 for a total outlay of $1150 before cards, filters, etc.

OR.......I just see that I can pick up a used D90 with same 18-105 (plus free card,extra battery and a few other goodies) for $850. My current 50mm will then work.

Is it worth extra $300+ to go with the 5100?

Video isn't huge to me, although I do not have another dedicated video camera. I am confident that the D90 is a good body, but given that it is discontinued and already aged, I'm wondering if I'll regret this two years from now. I see the specs are better on the 5100, but I'm not sure how that equates to actual image quality and functionality.

Also....18-105 on 5100? Will that balance okay? The one con on this camera is that it feels TINY in my hands! I much prefer the heft of the 7000, and the D90 certainly favors that.

Okay....fire away. Opinions much appreciated. Thanks!

Nikon D7000 Nikon D80 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow