Started Nov 11, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OlyChamp
Senior MemberPosts: 4,331Gear list
Like?
From a (dearly departed) world (9 imgs)
Nov 11, 2011

Short story. These images have been lovingly transferred from Slides to digital by my daughter. They are from her Great Aunties (Aunty Elva and Aunty Mura) cameras on their annual travels to far flung destinations around the world. Aunty Elva is her blood aunty, Aunty Mura was her lesbian and lover and close family friend. They first met in 1946 as seamstresses at the same clothing shop and soon formed a life long bond, and as part of their union, they saved all their money to travel and take slides.

Regrettably Aunty Mura passed on in 1998 aged in her late seventies (no one was ever too sure of her birth date) and now Aunty Elva is in a rest home suffering dementia. Their legacy is over 5000 slides of this planet from the late 40's to their last trip to the Himalayas in 1998, before she died. My daughter has been gifted the slides which she is turning into digital format for prosperity, a tall task, but one made easier with the purchase of a slide compositor. The unfortunate thing for my daughter is that she is having trouble naming a lot of the slides, but many are labelled. Some regrettably haven't preserved well, but most are in pristine condition.

I think most of these were taken in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Herat. Dates unsure.

And as we speak I have tasked my daughter to find out what make of cameras they used, if Aunty Elva can remember. I seem to recall a Leica and possibly an early Oly.

-- hide signature --

In between the Hour Glass
and the lens of a secondhand camera
a dog barks orders to troops
lining a battlefield
of posies and poppy,

the diecast setting of a model
standing aloft, aloof
the rain pelting an icy tin roof
suggests the shutterspeed needs to be fast
to capture the enemy.

OlyChamp's gear list:OlyChamp's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow