Ever just take a 4/3rds system and leave the big DSLR guns at home?

Started Nov 10, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
robonrome
Senior MemberPosts: 1,265Gear list
Like?
Ever just take a 4/3rds system and leave the big DSLR guns at home?
Nov 10, 2011

This is more one for you DSLR users who have bought into m43 for size and convenience. Have you ever cut the cord completely for a major trip or photo expedition and gone fully m43? Happy with the results, any regrets?

I'm off to Nepal next Sunday for a few weeks treking. I bought into the m43 system (G3 + 14-45, 45-200, 20/1.7 and just got 45/1.8) with the intention of taking on this trip alone and leaving my 5D2, 60D and various L glass at home.

I'll have a porter with me so weight isn't so much an issue, but more wanted to keep the camera on me ready to go and a big DSLR would kill my neck etc. Also it is a very poor country and big camera/lenses can be intimidating to people I'd like to photograph - some security concerns as well. They just make you stand out and I'd rather blend in an much as possible.

WHile the G3 and lenses I have are excellent they aren't a match in pure image quality terms with say my 5D2 and certain L lenses - nor should they be given the price and size differential. It's a compromise, I know. I'm worried I'll regret not taking the DSLR kit when I get home and review the shots I've taken... but on the flip side worried if I do the inconvenience, obtrusiveness etc will cost me shots I would have got with m43.

At this rate I'll end up taking both systems and that's just stupid. Any tales of how others have faced similar (admitidely insignificant) dilemnas and what your outcome and take outs were?

cheers,

rob

robonrome's gear list:robonrome's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow