Concert Use

Started Nov 10, 2011 | Discussions thread
balios
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
Re: Concert Use
In reply to Parrothead, Nov 10, 2011

I guess it will depend on the type of concert. I go primarily to metal concerts, and the microphone on my Nex-5 is useless.

The problem with the Nex-5 (not sure how the 5N performs, but I assume its similar) is that the speaker cuts out at high volumes. The Nex-5 is really one of the poorest performing cameras in terms of ability to handle high volume sound. I doubt the external microphone would help much.

Other cameras handle high volume much better (I use an Panasonic LX5 for concerts), where you may lose some of the bass at high volume, but at least the song is intact and you don't have the extremely destructive audio cut-outs.

What you may want to consider is getting a portable audio recorder. I'm currently using the LX5 with a Zoom H1 (about $100). The Zoom H1 will handle any level of music and adds the missing bass that sometimes the LX5 won't pick up for extreme levels of volume (and I do mean extreme).

The only downside of the Zoom H1 is that it's another piece of equipment to handle/manage, the audio will be too bass heavy for extreme (and I do mean extreme) volumes of rock/metal music, and its sensitive to being knocked/brushed up against (the microphones will record any sound of contact with the device). However it will record sound that's much better than any camera I know.

balios's gear list:balios's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow