My recent acquisiition is teaching me a lesson...

Started Nov 10, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Revision
Contributing MemberPosts: 760Gear list
Like?
My recent acquisiition is teaching me a lesson...
Nov 10, 2011

So after watching the Jay Meisel/Kelby videos and reading about other photographers' experience with the Nikon 70-300 VR I bought one for a good price and in the usual stellar condition from KEH.

Very good lens within its f/ 4.5-5.6 obvious limits, better than expected given the the > 4:1 zoom ratio, very effective VR yada yada yada...

The problem is, I do not have a tele eye/brain and can't "see" the picture + am totally incapable of framing anything decently beyond 70 mm FL on DX.

I am now the not so proud maker of perfectly exposed, motion-blur-free, very detailed pictures of brick walls shot at 300, 200, 135, 100 and 70 mm done with this lens. I keep wandering the Houston streets with my camera and the 70-300 hoping for a miracle but so far I have not been able to conceive of a single meaningful picture. They may be out there, but I surely can't find them. I am hoping that this self imposed public humiliation will motivate me to refrain from future purchases of perfectly fine photographic equipment that is not matched by my skills.
--
Best Regards,
Renato

'The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks.' Henri Cartier Bresson, in the 1930's

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow