Leica name for the GX1

Started Nov 6, 2011 | Discussions thread
drinkonlyscotch
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
Re: It would be better if they
In reply to Archiver, Nov 10, 2011

Leica have already said that m43 sensor size does not give them the image quality they want in a large sensor camera.

M43 may have low IQ for a "large sensor" camera but I'd make the argument that it's not a large sensor. With that in mind, those words from Leica – "It's too small for a large sensor" – may have been skillfully ducking the question. Plus, if they really had such a low opinion of the format, why are they making lenses for it?

Companies say these sorts of things all the time when they don't have a product on the market. The fact is, M43 would be a huge opportunity for Leica. Every pro I know uses a M43 camera for their personal/travel photography and for good reason. You can fit an entire system – body, three primes, three batteries and charger, in a side-satchel that weighs less than a 5D body. There's definitely a market for an M43 body with higher build quality than any of the current options. The GF-1 really drew quite a few pros and enthusiasts to the format, even if it's not what they use for their "serious" work.

Right now, there's a major gap in the Leica lineup between the $799 D-Lux and the $1900 X-1. It does not make sense to fill that gap with an APS-C or similar sensor as the body would most likely cost more than the X-1. No, M43 is the ideal format for this gap-closer. A metal-bodied Leica M43 at $1200–$1500 would be a very compelling proposition for many people, especially if it was a true Leica design (perhaps something inspired by the CL?) and not a re-badged Panasonic. I myself would grab one instantly.

drinkonlyscotch's gear list:drinkonlyscotch's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow