Started Nov 4, 2011 | Discussions thread
hfg
hfg
Regular MemberPosts: 387Gear list
Like?
Re: Mac mini 2011
In reply to calson, Nov 10, 2011

calson wrote:

SSD is great for fast reads but not writes. A fully configured Mac Mini Server sells for over $1900 which has to be the worst value in any computer, and that does not include the cost for a monitor.

Editing still and video requires lots of RAM as well as processor power and with a computer that is limited to 8GB and can only have one internal hard drive the Mini is a very marginal machine. The iMac is a much better buy and a better computer overall.

I use a Mac Pro for my editing but recently added a HP 8200 mini tower to my office. For $1000 I got a machine with a better i7 processor, able to use 32GB RAM, 1TB hard drive and space for 2 more with 6Gbs SATA, AMD Radeon video card, 1GB Ethernet, Bluetooth, 32x DVD burner, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, and 3 years onsite support including all parts and labor.

Sad that with Apple there is an enormous gap that exists between the Mini and the Mac Pro workstation. To have a truly expandable computer for serious editing the Mac Pro workstation is the only Apple offering and for many people it is overkill in many ways including its space and power requirements (though it makes a nice space heater for my office in the winter).

I would agree that my Mac Pro has been a great system for the past 3+ years, due to the ability to expand and update some of the components over the years.

However, I think it only fair to point out that your maxed out $2K Mac Mini includes dual 256GB SSD drives which will add $1000 to not only the Mini, but to any other pc as well. Your comparison $1K HP 8200 system did not include the dual SSD drives, which would have taken that system to $2000 as well.

hfg's gear list:hfg's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow