GX1 +X lens = similar size + better quality than Fuji X10?

Started Nov 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
spacelounge
Regular MemberPosts: 105
Like?
Re: Not a win/lose comparison - they are different cameras
In reply to Brooks Lester, Nov 10, 2011

debating which compact to buy and was considering the x10 but it just seems terrible: focus is hit and miss, with lots of misses it seems, ui and controls lacking, terrible lens/or quality control according to images in this thread http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1012&thread=39806700
and rushed firmware.

the x10 might have a slightly better sensor, but the lens ruins that advantage as does actual usability, so to me it seems that the ricoh grd 4 is the best compact.

Brooks Lester wrote:

The X10 looks to be the best compact fixed lens enthusiast cam in terms of overall IQ, lens, handling, and (Fuji) color rendering. The GFX looks to be the leader in resolution among small bodied m4/3 cams. (I'll still take Olympus color over Panasonic, even with the new Panasonic jpeg engine, and even shooting RAW). The jury is still out on the 14-42X Lumix lens - it may not be better than the original 14-45 Lumix, and they're both slow.

Since there is no fast m4/3 mid zoom the X10 still has an advantage in depth of field control. I have an Olympus E-PL3 and like it a lot, and also had a GF-1 before that. I had a 14-42X lens on order but cancelled it after the initial new user posts about less than stellar lens IQ. At this point I generally use the E-PL3 with the awesome 7-14mm lens and shoot candids with my X100. (X100 focussing is a PITA for candids - no face detection).

If I can get a fixed lens semi-compact with more lens speed and range, and Fuji color (skin tones, especially), I'll take that over a slow mid zoom on an equal sized camera with slightly better ISO performance (GFX with 14-42X). I'll probably get the 14-42X at some point since the Oly kit lens is pretty bad.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow